For my final Christmas playlist this year, I wish to share the carols I love most. These are the songs I associate most with Christmas, as they are the songs I've sung on Christmas Eve around the light of the tree with my family all my life. They are songs that give me the true spirit of Christmas. I'm grateful for my parents for raising me with these songs, centered on the Christ.
I had a neat experience Sunday. We went to Ashland for the weekend for my papa-in-law's birthday and to give Christmas wishes before leaving for Utah. On Saturday, Ian's cousin Toni asked if I could act as Mary for her Young Women lesson for church the next day. She wanted me to share my feelings and memories, as if I were Mary. I agreed, but I didn't expect the experience to be as dear to me as it was. At first I thought it would be awkward and that I'd not be able to act seriously. Fearing that, I said a prayer beforehand that I would know what to say and that I could give a good impression of the mother of the Son of God. What a feat, can you imagine! Toni did a great job. She decorated the classroom with trimmed trees and piles of presents. She started off the lesson raving about her excitement of Christmas, with the lights and the presents and the songs on the radio. Then she handed out piles of catalogs with papers and pens and said "I thought we'd all write letters to Santa Claus!" There was a general excitement when Toni left to 'get something out of her car.' This was my que. I walked to the front (with a shawl over my head, the whole thing) and introduced myself as Mary. And my prayer was answered. I was able to describe my experience of an Angel coming to me and telling me I would bear a son, the Savior of the world. I shared my feelings of fear, peace and rejoicing. I described the difficulty of traveling to Bethlehem in my state and the patience of Joseph. I described the unexpected reality that there was no room for us in any inn and that I knew the baby was coming soon. How we settled in a place where animals are kept and that it was not how I thought it would be. But I knew when I'd seen my son that he was, in fact, the Son of God. That the manger had become a special place, and that I understood why He had been born there. So that He could connect to even the lowest in the world. I expressed the joy I felt when shepherds came to see him, and that they too knew who He was. Then I shared my feelings on today's Christmas and how the world tends to forget that special, quiet night. After which I sat down.
And while I hope that the young women were touched by Toni's lesson which showed the contrast of the night of Christ's birth, and the commercial attention the world leans toward today... I'm pretty sure it hit me the hardest. I'm grateful for it. It was a simple, little thing-- but it really brought me the spirit of Christmas. You know the feeling, I'm sure. That feeling of peace, warmth, togetherness and joy. I feel like I saw Mary a little more clearly than I ever have before. How she pondered her experiences in her heart (Luke 2: 19, 51) How humble she was at her calling; the handmaiden of the Lord. How brave she must have been. It was just... special. I hope you don't mind me sharing.
Playlist:
I had a neat experience Sunday. We went to Ashland for the weekend for my papa-in-law's birthday and to give Christmas wishes before leaving for Utah. On Saturday, Ian's cousin Toni asked if I could act as Mary for her Young Women lesson for church the next day. She wanted me to share my feelings and memories, as if I were Mary. I agreed, but I didn't expect the experience to be as dear to me as it was. At first I thought it would be awkward and that I'd not be able to act seriously. Fearing that, I said a prayer beforehand that I would know what to say and that I could give a good impression of the mother of the Son of God. What a feat, can you imagine! Toni did a great job. She decorated the classroom with trimmed trees and piles of presents. She started off the lesson raving about her excitement of Christmas, with the lights and the presents and the songs on the radio. Then she handed out piles of catalogs with papers and pens and said "I thought we'd all write letters to Santa Claus!" There was a general excitement when Toni left to 'get something out of her car.' This was my que. I walked to the front (with a shawl over my head, the whole thing) and introduced myself as Mary. And my prayer was answered. I was able to describe my experience of an Angel coming to me and telling me I would bear a son, the Savior of the world. I shared my feelings of fear, peace and rejoicing. I described the difficulty of traveling to Bethlehem in my state and the patience of Joseph. I described the unexpected reality that there was no room for us in any inn and that I knew the baby was coming soon. How we settled in a place where animals are kept and that it was not how I thought it would be. But I knew when I'd seen my son that he was, in fact, the Son of God. That the manger had become a special place, and that I understood why He had been born there. So that He could connect to even the lowest in the world. I expressed the joy I felt when shepherds came to see him, and that they too knew who He was. Then I shared my feelings on today's Christmas and how the world tends to forget that special, quiet night. After which I sat down.
And while I hope that the young women were touched by Toni's lesson which showed the contrast of the night of Christ's birth, and the commercial attention the world leans toward today... I'm pretty sure it hit me the hardest. I'm grateful for it. It was a simple, little thing-- but it really brought me the spirit of Christmas. You know the feeling, I'm sure. That feeling of peace, warmth, togetherness and joy. I feel like I saw Mary a little more clearly than I ever have before. How she pondered her experiences in her heart (Luke 2: 19, 51) How humble she was at her calling; the handmaiden of the Lord. How brave she must have been. It was just... special. I hope you don't mind me sharing.
Playlist:
And finally MERRY CHRISTMAS! There's a reason this is the best time of year. It's a grand focus on what is most central in our lives. Family, love, joy, service and the gospel of Jesus Christ. All of the best things. We're excited to be able to spend Christmas in Utah this year! Although we wish our families were closer to each other. Perhaps someday.
Farewell 2011!

No comments :
Post a Comment