birth story II

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Peter was two and half weeks early.  And while we were fairly prepared for his birth, it happened early enough that I didn't get a chance to wonder when he was coming.  This time around was different.  We were so prepared it was ridiculous.  I felt a bond to all the women who try everything to induce labor.  My Mom and Sophie came a week before my due date, in case I went early again.  And though at the time I was worried that they would be super bored and never actually see my second born, it worked out beautifully.  They spent a week hanging out, providing relief and helping me nest.  In fact the night before my due date, we were up painting the trim in the nursery.

At around midnight the morning of my due date, contractions started.  I was hesitant to believe they were legitimate because I'd been having contractions for a couple weeks at that point.  After a few hours however, I excitedly but with an attempt at calm, acknowledged that they were coming on consistently and becoming stronger.  Ian and I prepped to leave for the hospital around 5AM.  It was really nice to be able to leave the house knowing Peter would have my mom and Sophie there.

I didn't quite know what to expect this time around, as I had decided to have an epidural over going natural again.  But let me tell you, it was a really great experience.  I fully embraced the UK team and they were so accommodating and friendly.  We were especially lucky to get our nurse at the beginning of his shift, because he was with us the whole day.  He could not have been more helpful.  He walked me through everything that was happening.  He was thorough and comforting, helping me feel at ease to ask questions.  The epidural went smoothly and I was amazed to be able to relax during my contractions.  I knew they were happening but the pain was gone.  Incredible.  I had no choice but to relax and sleep.  Sleep!  I almost felt guilty for how wonderful it was.

I learned a few things about my labor.  It takes me a long time to get to 7 cm dilated.  It was about 12 hours to get from 4 cm to 7 cm.  However... from 7 to fully dilated takes only about an hour.  I remember that hour being hell with Peter-- but as I wasn't being regularly checked the first time,  I didn't equate what was happening, and so was not able to explain that to my doctors this time.  When I was still only at a 7 after 12 hours, my doctors seemed to be gearing themselves up for a long long night.  One of them even went home to check up on a few things, and my other doctor left for a break.  I started to feel some real pressure pretty soon after they'd left.  I called in the anesthesiologist to make sure the epidural was working.  He upped the dosage, but the pressure stayed.  My doctor came in from her break to check on me, and I appreciate her very calm reaction looking back.  Apparently she could feel the baby's head.  She assured me everything was good, but rushed out to call the other doctor to come back.  Meanwhile, I was starting to feel very real pain.  I wasn't necessarily expecting it, but as it was no where near what I had experienced naturally, I was able to breathe through it and handle it fine.  I was really grateful for my training in hypnosis and though the Hynobabies program encourages natural birth, the foundation of the hypnosis is to teach you to be calm regardless of the birth experience you're having.  Because I was so relaxed and calm-- I was able to really focus my mind through the pain and felt empowered.  This was especially poignant during pushing because though I wanted to push, they asked me to hold off for the doctor if I could.  Being directed in my pushing and waiting to push was very positive for me.  I ended up only pushing three or four times before our baby was out.

Meet Joanna:



Seven pounds, ten ounces.  20 inches long







We love our Joanna Knell.

She was born on her due date around 6:45 pm.  I was beaming when I heard her for the first time.  I felt so calm and connected to this birth and it was very healing for me.  Though I had an incredible experience having Peter naturally, and I'm grateful for it-- it was somewhat traumatic for me.  It's been powerful to compare and contrast both births and to feel more than anything a huge wave of peace and gratitude for my healthy babies.  Can you see that look of excitement on Peter's face?

(photo taken by GranD on her iphone)

And then we were four.

1 comment :

Marissa said...

First of all- WOW!! I love this story so much. It's the best when we can get a birth that we long for and that feels comfortable for us. This is so empowering and AMAZING!! And I just love that Joanna came on her due date!! Second- I can't believe I missed all these posts! I usually come and check your blog to see if there is anything new, or I thought I did, but I guess I missed like a whole month!! So yay for catching up and getting to read all of these posts!!

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |