our baby

Thursday, March 28, 2013

.... is a boy



We could have watched this ultrasound all day long.  I only wish the technician would stay still for long enough to really see our little guy move.  He's a boy.  We both knew it.  Ian was a little more careful about assuming he was right about our first boy, so he decided to be content with not (really) knowing. But to know for sure was very reassuring.  We're so giddy.

Cute stories I'd like to remember:

I had my arm up behind my head so I could see the ultrasound screen better.  Before we finished, the technician took one more look at our baby's profile-- and there he was with his arm up behind his head, just like me.  That's what the second picture is, if you can tell.  There's his little arm right up behind his neck.  Glad he's comfortable in there right now.  Space will be limited here soon, I think.

Ian and I went out that evening to find a little something for our son.  (Our son--how incredible is that!)  After looking at a few things, we finally found something we both liked enough to buy and began to discuss the size.  We decided on 3-6 months.  Who knows how big this kid will be?  I'll remind you that my husband is 6'9" and was 10 lbs 1 oz when he was born.  And he was about 22 inches long...?  I think?  When the technician zeroed in on the baby's foot, she said "There's his... well, I was going to say little foot, but that's a big foot!"  Anyway-- while discussing what size to get Ian said "I think three to six months is safe.  He could wear it when he's three months, but he can wear it a little big before then also."  After he said this Ian found me grinning really big.

Let me explain.  This baby thing has been pretty surreal.  It's still surreal, but it's slowly becoming more and more of a reality.  Hearing Ian come to a logical conclusion about our kids clothes/size/whatever made it so real somehow.  I apologize if this doesn't make sense to you.  All of my conversations with Ian concerning babies has been hypothetical up to the last few months.  For years it was a lot of 'what if's' and wondering.  All of a sudden our conversations are logical, based on reality.  It's still so amazing that this is happening.  It's not hitting us all at once.  It's been bit by bit.  Like a conversation about the growth of our son and the clothes he'll need.  

We're loving this.

currently: 21 weeks and 4 days along.


2 comments :

Alex and Lena said...

This is the sweetest post I have ever read. I am so excited for you and Ian!!

Samantha said...

I just found this

you made me cry. I'm just so beyond overjoyed that you finally get to experience the wonders and joys of motherhood. there's nothing like it, and it can never be described to someone who has not yet experienced it. I'm bawling lol all because I'm so happy and it makes me overflow with happiness for you! I can't wait to meet your awesome SON!!

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |