As part of our Halloween celebrations this year, we joined the city of Lexington for the thriller parade. I had heard a little bit about it, but couldn't wait to see what the reality of it was.
I was not disappointed.
As we approached main street we started to notice something a little different. Namely... a bunch of zombies, still and quiet, laying all over the place. They lined the streets, plagued the sidewalks and crowded the square. Without so much as a glance or sound. Except for one scuba diver zombie... who would not look, but would grab your leg as you walked past as if her arms were the only thing living.
Spooky, eh?
We shoved our way through the huge crowd of people lining the street and waited for the parade to start. As soon as the thriller music started--Michael Jackson came out of the Kentucky theater, just like in his music video, and he and his girl did their little song and dance. Then after Vincent Price spoke... all our zombies came alive and made their way to the street.
Shoving their way through the throng of people.
There must have been a couple hundred of these zombies. And as soon as the beat started (you know the one) they began the dance. All couple hundred of them between the ages of 7 to 50, obviously rehearsed, doing the thriller dance. It was really somethin' to behold.
And the crowd went wild.
Side note: Brianna took the majority of these pictures... and I thought it was funny that the red eye glare made almost everyone look spooky. Like the picture of this crowd below for example.... 'specially the kid on the end right, second row up. See what I mean? They look like jawa's.
Then of course the rest of the parade followed. It was a blast, really. Very amateur floats and spectacles, but honest and in the spirit of fun. It made me feel like a kid at halloween again. And the more I watched, the more brilliant I decided this parade was. Which I know Lexington has figured out, this being their 10th year and all. It's at night-- so you don't have to worry about the sun blazing on you. It's halloween themed so there is no end to the ideas you can come up with to make it interesting each year. You can dress up for it. You can participate by being a zombie and learning the dance (I am sorely tempted for next year, folks.) It was just fun.
Papier-mâché Michael
Día de los Muertos Float from our Latin community.
Ghostbusters and Mr. Stay Puff
And of course, our headless horseman to finish it off.
We neglected to picture the phantom of the opera playing the organ in the back of a truck playing Toccata and Fugue in D minor, Pee Wee Hermin riding his bike, the zombie marching band as well a pipe band with their traditional kilts but also some painted faces and silly costumes on top. All quite enjoyable.
We were quite pleased with the whole thing, as I am sure you can imagine. More fun than scary, I promise. Hope to go again next year! Maybe even join along...



1 comment :
That is the coolest parade ever! I totally need to visit you next Halloween.
Post a Comment