peter says

Tuesday, May 10, 2016



Peter is talking more and more all the time.  It's my hope to record these things before they're forgotten.  And so..


 
"Keep Trying"

The first time he said it was when he was at dinner, frustrated that his food was not succumbing to his fork.  He had a moment of a disgruntled grunts, but then whispered to himself "keep... twy-ing."

Another time happened when a ball of his went under the car.  "keep... twy-ing," he encouraged himself, as he got down on his belly to reach under the car for his ball.  And then when he'd retrieved it yelled "I got it!"

While frosting a cake in the kitchen, I was talking to Ian in the next room.  Peter was of course right beside me watching the cake with fascination and anticipation.  I was telling Ian how I'd wished I was good at frosting cakes.  My desserts taste good but I rarely feel wonderful about how they look.  I finished by saying "I guess that's just not my talent."  And then Peter's little voice beside me said "Keep twy-ing, mommy."

 ----------

 Peter is my little extrovert.  He is filled with energy when he's around other people.  Even the excitement of seeing other people fills him with energy i.e. when we're getting ready to leave the house.  This makes it hard for him to stay in one place long enough for him to get dressed to go a lot of times.  A typical response from me is to say "Peter, focus.  I need you to come here."   The other morning, I was asking him to come into my bed for snuggles.  I wasn't ready to get up yet.  But Peter had other plans and didn't feel like joining me just then.  He expressed this by shouting "Mom!  Focus!"

 ----------

We were looking for butterflies at the park one afternoon.  And just as I became sure there weren't any, Peter saw a little yellow one.  "Let's gitt 'im!" he pronounced before running after it.  The butterfly moved quickly, and was soon far ahead.  "Come back... butterfly!" he called out.  

 ----------

Dad has learned that the way to help Peter leave without a fight from somewhere we're enjoying is to ask Peter to say goodbye.  "Say goodbye to the playground!" he'll say.  For a moment Peter will look sad but then quickly yell out "Bye playground!"  He's taken this thinking with him wherever we go.  If we see a worm along our path he'll stop for a moment and then exclaim "Bye worm!" before moving on.  Or an airplane in the sky.  "Bye airpwane!"  It's usually a long list when we leave a friends house.  "Bye bike! ... bye Wy-wah! (his friend)  ... bye cars!"  

 ----------

"Shoo!  That was... cwose." He mostly says this in a pre-calculated way, like after he specifically jumps off of something so he can say the phrase.

 ----------

One of my favorite things about Peter's speech is all of the pauses between words.  "Bat... man."  "Thanks... dad,"  "Hi Cas...tinn!" (our neighbor)  "Wanna watch...Jake!"  (Jake and the Neverland Pirates) "Gonna see... Nowaah?"  (his bestie)

 ----------

He is so sweet with Joanna, just as I thought he would be.  He's always holding her hand if he's close to her.  Typically in the car, or on the ground when he sits beside her to watch something.  One time in the car when she was crying he attempted to console her.  "Shhhh Jo-eenah.  Iss okay.  Iss okay."  On this particular time, she started to calm down.  "Iss workeen!" he shouted triumphantly.  Sometimes Peter gets frustrated when his consoling doesn't work.  "Iss okay.  Iss okay.  Iss!  Okay!  ISS OKAY!!"

 ----------

Sometimes going to bed is hard.  We'll come in to check on him when he's clearly upset.  "What's wrong, Peter?"   "I'm cryeen!"  he'll say.  Sometimes he'll lament by saying "I'm sad cry."  If we're lucky, he'll find his harmonica before going to bed.  He'll blow into the mouth organ in between crying out.  It's hard not to giggle and imagine he's in the clink.

 ----------

A game daddy started has started to catch on big time around here.  "Are you a... lamp?" he'll ask.  "Noooo," he'll respond with a silly smile.  "Are you a boy?"  "Yettthhhh."  Peter has started to ask the questions lately and I really need to record his little voice inflection in it.  "Aye you.... a mommy?"  but the end of his question is always really high pitched.  I'm enjoying his imagination in this.  "Aye you.... a sammich?"  "Aye you.... a gril?" (girl)  "Aye you.... Jo--eenah?"  "Aye you... a ray-bow?"

 ----------

The first time Peter heard thunder he gasped quietly, with a very sincere look of shock on his face as he whispers "Dino-sowes."  I thought it was a pretty accurate guess!


 ----------

Peter's prayers are my favorite.  His first *ever* prayer was the best thing I've ever heard.  "Henn Fader.  Iss okay.  A-min."  But now they sound like "Henn fader.  gibberishgibberish --stay.  gibberish gibberish trains ann a bridge. gibberishgibberish good-- dreams.  gibberishgibberish jo--eenah. innname.  Jeesiss Chrys.  A-min"


 ----------

My favorite word he says:  "Duh-wish-uss"

----------

"Cann I headge you?"




Yes.  You can always hold me.


Peter is currently 2 years old, nearing 3.


Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |