Something happens to me at Halloween. As soon as the right idea is hatched, my brain seems to take off on its own, making sense of the most mundane things at Salvation Army. Peter has been super into pirates since we went to a Pirate Show in North Myrtle Beach at the beginning of September. And thus has been watching Jake and the Neverland Pirates more than I would care to say. So Peter was Captain Hook, I was Mr. Smee with my pregnant belly poking out in Smee fashion, and Ian was Peter Pan. This was not his first time being Peter Pan (as you can see in the picture below!)
Ian as a youngster (and no pants)
Ian today! Pants intact!
I fashioned Peter's Captain Hook coat from a 90s girl holiday dress. I took it down to Peter's size, and added gold ribbon. I also sewed/glued his hook into his sleeve so he couldn't remove it HA! He didn't complain, just held up his hook and exclaimed "Pirate!" the entire evening. His hat was assembled from a bright pink straw hat that I covered in maroon napkins and sewed/glued into the shape of a pirate hat and added a feather to, as well as a wig on the interior. I made his little cravat with an elastic neck so I could put it around his normal Sunday button-up shirt. I'm no seamstress. And my details are messy. But I think it turned out pretty great!
The best part of our Halloween this year was when we hatched the idea of a Peter Pan themed dinner, and I remembered the imagination dinner scene from Hook. Now, we didn't break out into a verbal battle turned epic food fight... (Prison barber!) but we had a really nice time. On the menu: Roast chicken, an array of fruits, a cheese plate, dinner rolls, veggies with dip and lemon-lime punch. For dessert we had pie with hot chocolate. The perfect companion to the chill in the air.
I'm so grateful for my family and the Hatton's for joining in on our fun! Everyone came in the right spirit of Peter Pan and adventure. We had pirates, lost boys, mermaids, little Michael and Tinkerbell. It was good.
To end our evening we roasted Starburst and marshmallows. We may have skipped out on trick-or-treat this year, but I think our Halloween ended up being something we'll remember for a while.
















1 comment :
This looks great! Would love to go to a party like that! And little Peter looks so cute. You did a great job on his outfit! Holli is a cute Tinker bell too. :)
Post a Comment