taken by your dad after you had brought all your trains into our bed one morning
You're two. Really, absolutely, completely two. It's hard for me to swallow how quickly you grew out of being a baby. I focused so hard on how amazing it would be to have a baby-- and here you are. On the way to being grown up. But do you want to know the fun part? I am loving every second of it.
No, really. I thought so much about having a baby, I didn't focus a whole lot on all that would come after. And you're so fun. Your personal stamp on life is coming out more and more all the time. You are obsessed with trains. You say "trinn-ah" more than anything else. You recognize any sort of train track, railroad sign, train-like thing everywhere we go. I feel grateful that we live in Lexington where we have the RJ Corman line so close, you can hear the distant whistle and see moving trains regularly. I don't think there has been a day that you haven't built your tracks and connected your magnetic trains.
Your other obsession is drawing. It is your most frequently asked question. "Draw?" You'll ask. You prefer mommy's notebooks, and journals with pens and markers to the coloring books with crayons we bought you. I suppose it makes sense. Crayons don't color on your skin the way that pens and markers do. I love seeing all your marks and drawings in my current journal. It is the best reminder of us right now. I know your scribbles wouldn't mean much to some, but I'm noticing how precise you're becoming. I see the circles you're practicing. I'm excited to see where your drawings will take you. And hey-- you've really pushed me to be good at drawing trains. There are so many in my journal. I think you like the process of watching the ink turn into a train more than you like the finished product. I get that.
You're *officially* in your own bed now. That is probably the main reason I wanted to write this post. I'm feeling nostalgic for the baby you're moving further and further away from. It's a good thing we have that new baby on the way, eh? Perfect timing I'd say. I cannot wait to see you become a big brother. You're already so good and kind to the kids around you. Like that little girl at the doctors office who you handed all your crayons and coloring book to without expecting anything in return. I sense that you're getting tired of playing with me. What better time than now to train a baby to become your play mate?
And just for my own memory, here's a list of things I'm crazy about right now:
-Even though we're working on audibly saying "sorry"... I love that your response when I ask you to say sorry is a hug and a kiss
-A few times you've said "please" (which sounds more like "cheese" right now when you say it) and put your toys away without me having to ask
-You've calmed way down with the kitties, and you and Scout seemed to have bonded. You're very snugly with her and I'm so glad that she allows you to get up right in her face to smile and give her kisses. I think most cats would scratch you. The throwing things at them to get a reaction is getting a little tiring, but you know. We're working on it.
-I love it when you knock on doors and call out "Heh-doh?" (hello) really loud
-Instead of saying "yah" when you want something, you've started to nod. But you don't just tip your chin up and down. Your whole head is involved, which ends up requiring a lot of your body too. It's the cutest thing.
-You call Pappy "Hap-py." It's everyone's favorite.
-Kipper the Dog is the only show you'll sit all the way through for. I like it too.
-One of the reasons we've upgraded your bed is because you don't feel the need to be confined to your crib/bed anymore. Most of the time you do well sleeping through the night but then occasionally you'll decide 3am is a good a time as any to be awake indefinitely. I laid down with you last night in your new bed to try to help you settle down, and you scooted up close to me until our faces were inches apart and you put your hand under your cheek just like mine and began to whisper and giggle for all the world like we were having a special slumber party.
I know there's more. There is always more. My list of reasons for loving you is endless. But I wanted to remember this little picture of you at two. I'm so glad you're mine. I'm so grateful for the bond we share that continues to deepen. You're pretty great, kid.
love you forever,
Mom

No comments :
Post a Comment