sophie visits

Sunday, June 17, 2012

My darling kid sister Sophie definitely came to visit.

 

She just graduated from high school and chose US for her senior trip.  How kind.  We had a grand old time, we really did.  However, this visit was the first time I had used the camera in an awfully long time.  I tell you this only because I was out of practice, so I didn't get the shots that I should have.  I mostly took a lot of pretty close up shots of things because I was discovering the camera again.  I've made a mental note.  But meanwhile... you will just have to put up with the close up shots and listen to my stories of the grand old time we had while looking at the pretty pictures, and then use your imagination.  I (sort of) apologize.

There was definitely a lot of laughing.  Oh, Sophie you jokester, you.



There was plenty of eating.  Some dance parties.  Scarves worn on heads by all (doesn't Ian looked thrilled at his inclusion?)  The first night Sophie was here, we were lucky enough to go the the old & beautiful Kentucky Theater downtown to see The Wizard of Oz on the big screen.  It was super enchanting, if I do say so myself.  It was like seeing it for the first time!  Except everyone was singing along on with We're Off to See the Wizard parts.  Especially on the "because's."  We of course joined in.  We all clapped when Toto got away from Miss Gulch.  And several other times throughout.  Loudest when the both witches were gone.  Like I said, enchanting.


We went on lots of walks and drives to show off Kentucky's beauty.  Many movies were watched.  Fireflies were witnessed by Sophie for the first time!  She gasped just like I did.  We did some window shopping and went to 'Thursday Night Live'-- where live music and vendors come out downtown every Thursday night during the summer for everyone's enjoyment.  All of this time together made Sophie and I feel pretty inspired to step outside of our comfort zones and live a little.  This paved way for a trip to Michaels to buys some paints and canvases.  First ever painting!  Hooray!


We went to the farmer's market Saturday morning.  Which is where I began taking all those close-ups I was talking about.  It was packed that day, but still really fun.  During the summertime, there are not only have the farmers and eateries out, but also a small craft fair as well.  











We spent one day at Red River Gorge, which is about an hour & thirty minutes away.  Sadly, the day we went with Sophie Lou-- Ian and I forgot our camera completely.  Sophie did not, so she has plenty of pictures-- but alas.  Again, you will have to use your imagination.  Well, not completely.  The pictures below are from the spot we were, taken on a different day.  Isn't it beautiful?  We swam for a while, laid out in the sun, spent a good half hour skipping rocks.  This place must be where skipping rocks was invented.  There are perfect skimming rocks by the handful every time you go to look for them.  We couldn't resist.  So much so that our arms were sore the next day.  Ian and I hope to occupy this spot many more times this summer.  It is exactly how one should spend a good summer day.  Ian did dare me to jump that twenty foot drop off that huge rock-- which I did, semi promptly.  I think I made a distinct clenching/yelp sound as my stomach jumped up into my chest-- but I still did it.




We also went to the Arboretum, Kentucky's state botanical garden.  This is where the majority of my close up shots were taken.  I actually spared you from a lot of them.  But I thought these were pretty!  The arboretum is one of my favorite spots in Lexington.  I work just down the street from it, so it's typically where I spend my breaks.  It is just acres and acres of manicured pretty gardens and land for all to enjoy.  What's not to love?







Sophie... sometimes you are breathtakingly beautiful.  




And then Sophie had to leave us.  We were sad.  But also feeling very happy that she came our way to stay.  We are missing my family!  If only Kentucky and Utah weren't so far apart.  Sigh.


Thank you for gracing us with your darling, quirky, and stylish presence Soapy.  You took our summer up several notches, for which we are supremely grateful.

2 comments :

Bethany Sines said...

love the pics. : ) how do you get your pictures to have rounded edges like that?

Sash said...

thanks! that means a lot coming from you. i used picasa- the '1960s' effect. :) kinda sweet!

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |